Bernadeta Smialek serves as the Director of Software Engineering at Sabre Poland. In the first episode of Soaring with Sabre, we chat with Bernadeta as she shares her experiences of working for over 15 years with the company. Having changed multiple teams and roles, she talks of the opportunities team members have to expand their horizons and fulfill their aspirations.
1. In your journey with Sabre for over 15 years you have changed business units and roles, which is very inspiring. Tell us how was the experience?
It has been over 15 years since I’ve joined Sabre. My journey started in the role of Quality Assurance Engineer. I’ve learned a lot about Sabre products as well as the software development process during that time. Every single product and team I’ve worked with taught me new things. Such a variety of experiences helped me tremendously to grow as a leader. I’m grateful to all the people I’ve met and for all the opportunities I had.
2. What motivates you to look at different roles as you progressed in your career?
Every experience brings something new and different. This is what motivates me greatly. In Sabre there are many opportunities to expand your knowledge, skills and learn about the IT and travel industry. It is up to you to use them.
3. How would you advice people who want to consider internal moves like you have done?
Remember that every new role and situation gives you the opportunity for growth. The main way to grow as a professional is to find ways to improve your skills and knowledge. You can do this by seeking out new responsibilities and experiences. Don’t be afraid of changes, embrace them!
4. What has been your biggest learning as you worked through different business teams?
Working with different people and products taught me that there is no magic wand that you can use to solve all problems. The best thing you can do is to listen to people, work with them and most of all respect them even if they have totally different opinions.
5. What’s the best part of Sabre that you like?
People and the atmosphere. For me those two items together make this company the best workplace. That’s the reason I’m continuing my journey here.